The methods to determine or find the values of the roots for a quadratic equation can be defined as the quadratic formula. You may find various quadratic equations where the equation won’t factorize easily, here the use of quadratic formula comes into play.
The quadratic formula is the basic and easiest way to find the roots of the quadratic equation. Those equations which are defined as the second-degree equation are known as the quadratic equation.
It signifies that the highest power of the variable is equivalent to 2. The term quadratic has been derived from the words of Latin where quad means square. Generally, a quadratic equation is referred to as the equation of degree 2.
You may be surprised by the fact that, when a rocket is launched, the path of that rocket is defined by the quadratic equation. The applications of quadratic equations range from physics to astronomy. It is written as, ax. x + bx + c = 0 where a and b are the coefficient, x is the variable and c is the constant. They are written as integral values.
Method of Factorization
It is one of the simplest ways by which a quadratic equation can be solved. In this process, one must factorize the quadratic expression given to get the desired result. The following are the steps.
- Step 1: The quadratic equation must be in a standard form. The standard form of the quadratic equation is written as, ax.x + bx + c = 0 .
- Step 2: Now, you may factorize the quadratic expression or determine the factors in the equation given.
- Step 3: With the help of zero product property, place each of the factors as zero.
- Step 4: After completing the above method, you may get various equations. You must solve these equations to determine the value of a variable.
Method of Completing the Square
This method is generally used by elementary students as this method is quite complex. But, you will be able to use this method to solve a quadratic equation if you follow the correct order. The following are the steps.
- Step 1: The first step is the same as the method of factorization i.e.the quadratic equation must be in a standard form.
- Step 2: The second step is to complete the square on the left-hand side of the equation given.
- Step 3: Now, solve the equation for x.
Solving a Quadratic Equation
To recall, the algebraic equation whose highest power is 2 for the variable can be defined as the quadratic equation. There are different methods for solving quadratic equations or determining the values of the variable. Variable is a term that is used to define the unknown value present in an algebraic equation.
For instance, if the equation is written as: ax.x + bx + c = 0. Here, a and b are the coefficient, x is the variable and c is the constant. Some of the methods of solving a quadratic equation are, completing the square, by the method of factorization, by the help of quadratic formula, and by graphical representation.
If you want to learn about quadratic equations in a detailed, fun, and interactive manner, visit Cuemath to book a free session.
Read more interesting articles at Blogging Fort