Gynaecologist is the doctor with specialisation in health of women focusing on their reproductive system. They have an array of issues to deal with like hormone disorders, STIs, fertility issues, menstruation, childbirth and pregnancy and obstetrics. Generally, women prefer visiting well-woman clinic over family doctor. Then the gynaecologist will refer to other specialists.
In this blog, we will try to put some light on right time to visit and expectation of the patients. Never miss to read it out.
Who is gynaecologist?
Gynaecologists treat the female patients with problem in their reproductive organs. Obstetrician is the gynaecologist with specialisation in childbirth and pregnancy. Firstly, the candidate should undergo doctor course for 4-year. Then they have to specialise in gynaecology and obstetrics for next 4-year. At last they need to pass an examination to be registered and certified gynaecology.
Right time to visit one
You must visit the gynaecologist once a year as woman can have concerns on vaginal, vulvar, pelvic pain and abnormal uterine bleeding.
Common conditions treat by the gynaecologists are:
- Menopause, menstruation, fertility and pre pregnancy issue
- Family planning, pregnancy termination, sterilization and contraception
- Issues in the tissues of pelvic organs like muscles and ligaments
- Foecal and urinary incontinence
- Underlying conditions in reproductive tract like breast disorders, fibroids, ovarian cysts, non cancerous changes, vaginal and vulvar ulcers
- Premalignant conditions like cervical dysplasia and endometrial hyperplasia
- Breasts and reproductive tracts cancer and pregnancy-associated tumours
- Congenital abnormalities in female reproductive tract
- Emergency gynaecology care
- Endometriosis, chronic condition affecting reproductive system
- Abscesses and other pelvic inflammatory diseases
- Sexual dysfunction
- Sexuality (bisexual and same-sex relationships)
Sometimes gynaecologists provide both general and gynaecological health care. It includes preventive medicine for treatment and diagnosis of issues like acne, mood changes, lower back pain and headache.
They also treat:
- Psychiatric condition like personality disorders and depression
- Cardiovascular disease
- Hormonal issues and thyroid disorders
- Sexual assault and domestic violence
Preventive medicine includes lifestyle advice like weight loss and smoking cessation.
What is the right age to visit a gynaecologist?
Gynaecologist is the medical expert addressing female reproductive and sexual health issues. You are advised to visit a private consultant gynaecologist after 13 years old. Firstly, you have to develop a relation with the doctor. This will let you become free and comfortable to share your confidential information.
Basically, they will ask questions on sexuality and menstruation to ensure the length. Even if there is any probability to develop any symptoms they will start managing it beforehand. Doctor gets the chance to go through the overall wellbeing of the individual patient via counselling on lifestyle and health issues.
What you should expect?
Your expectation relies on the reason to visit the doctor. However, if you are going to the very first time then there will be in-depth consultation regarding your general health.
While you are about to visit; keep these points in your mind:
- Sharing of honest information regarding your lifestyle and health provides better idea on the condition and gynaecologist can help you in better way.
- Gynaecological examination is slightly uncomfortable but not painful at all.
- Shaving or waxing is not mandatory before gynaecological visit.
- Body odour is absolutely natural. If it creates any other problem share that with your gynaecologist.
- Even you can visit the gynaecologist during your period. But it is better to postpone and reschedule after some time.
- Stop doing sex and using tampons and vaginal douche ahead of gynaecological examination
You can visit alone or can take someone to see the gynaecologist.
You need to visit the gynaecologist every year for annual check up.
It will involve:
- Advice, evaluation and screening
- Immunisation on the basis of risk factors and age
- Physical exam comprises of body mass index, inguinal lymph nodes, overall health assessment, abdomen palpating
- Depending on the age of the patient, breast and pelvic exam
Doctor needs urine or blood sample for test and screening. By visiting well-woman clinic regularly you can stay up to date about your health condition. Also you can minimise the risk opting for healthy lifestyle in the long run.
Annual check up comprises of advice on intake of folic acid and calcium, immunizations, blood pressure monitoring, colonoscopy and mammography.
ABOG-certified gynaecologists can conduct numerous surgical and diagnostic procedures.
- Hysteroscopy, uterus examination using an endoscope
- Endometrial biopsy, collection of sample from uterus lining
- Colposcopy, cervical microscopic examination
- Ultrasound scanning
- Pap smear tests
Surgical process comprises of:
- Surgery preparation including patients
- Laparoscopy, keyhole abdominal procedure for surgical and diagnostic process, minor surgery like sterilisation
- Major surgery like fibroids removal from uterus
- After care to treat the additional complexities
- It can involve other surgical procedures like bowel obstruction
Firstly, the students have to graduate from acceptable medical school. Then only they receive the license for practice. A qualified gynaecologist must undergo 8 years of medical training and course. After studying at medical school for 4 years then they have to opt for 4-year obstetric-gynaecology course.
The course comprises of specialty training and surgical training. Further specialisation will consume 3 more years with various options like maternal foetal medicine, paediatric gynaecology and gynaecologic oncology.
Hope, you understand the time to meet the gynaecologist and what to keep as your expectation. Never ignore any problem and visit the gynaecologist immediately!